Litter.

I'm a bit of a die hard when it comes to litter. Any time I see some garbage on the ground I immediately pick it up. Even better if that litter is a plastic bag I can store all the litter I recover. Then if it's not too gross I will sort it into recyclables and trash. Picking up litter is such a good feeling. It feels like I'm doing my part, doing what most people wont, and it's contributing to the improvement of our environment. If only more people found litter as easy to pick up as is to drop.

I've seen some pretty interesting things in my litter collection adventures.

 It really says a lot about who we are as a society.
 We treat everything as a commodity,
 refusing to take responsibility
 for what keeps us living comfortably.
 The ability to not feel guilty
when littering the streets
with materials that no longer satisfy our needs.
We do it discretely so the neighbors wont see.
But really
we're going about this the wrong way.
Each day we're mass producing,
reducing our resources,
the forces we wield are not to be taken lightly.
We're mighty but we might be fighting the wrong wars
Knocking at the door of capital success
Hoping he'll let us in and rest
hoping he'll give us everything we need to succeed.
but the door never opens to any but a few
and the rest are left with nothing to do
but keep digging the wells and mining the mines,
hoping to find some great peace of mind
in the safety of riches and wealth past belief.
working so hard but we find no relief.
And we leave the Earth with these sores and these scars
so that we can build roads and drive cars.
Drive to get groceries, using these commodities
Constantly consuming
and then throwing away.

P.s I'm a bit of a slam poet so there may be some random poems interspersed in here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Two

New Job at the ABCRC

5 Useful tricks for greener living