Hello again!

I’ve realized that I am no good at regular updates to this blog. Living in the woods with no internet has a big part to play in that. But at long last, I’m back to give an update on my west coast life.

Recently Michael and I have invested in a solar array. We’ve got two monocrystaline 270 W panels, two 400 Ah, 6 volt flooded lead acid batteries in series, a charger and a inverter. The whole system cost over 2,000$. And while the price was an uncomfortable pill to swallow, we are now off the grid energy wise. It feels right, to be set up in a small clearing in an alder and salmon berry forest, less than 500m from a small organic farm, and to be hooked up to solar power. It feels like one more step towards assimilation with our natural neighbours. In a sense, we are photosynthesising energy to run our little trailer. And our bodies are fuelled by the vegetables we pick, which ate the same tasty sun, less than a km away. 
On our property we also have our own little garden, populated with the runts and extra seedlings as well as wild ‘weeds’ I transplanted from the farm. It’s my first foray into growing a wild medicinal garden, and it makes me happy. I’ve got lamb’s quarters, plantain, oxeye daisy, wild geranium, pearly everlasting and mint growing beside kale, basil, squash, tomato, tomatillo, sweet pea, sunchoke and sunflower. 
The ability to be self-sufficient, to live a low impact lifestyle, is refreshing and empowering. But it’s not glamorous. We are essentially glamping, sleeping in a tent with a queen sized mattress, and using a trailer as a kitchen with a propane stove and fridge, and living room with a small table and two benches. We store half our belongings in the trailer, and half in our vehicles. Our living space footprint is minimal, less than 150 square feet. Because we rely on the sun for power, we can only use certain appliances at lunch time, when the panels are generating enough energy. I’ve had to learn to be tidy and finish projects promptly, not leaving messes on our precious counter space. I’ve had to learn to adapt to sleeping on the ground and not having running water. It has worn me down, and I find myself emotional or testy after long hot days on the farm or long rainy nights in the tent.

Though it is a grungy and dirty life, it has me feeling grounded. Like I am rooting a foundation close to the earth, and forging a deep connection with the Earth around me. I love waking up to the birds, stepping out of my tent to greet sunflowers and sunny alders. I love working barefoot in the warm soil and picking vegetables, the fruits of our labour. For all the alterations and compromises, I think overall it’s worth the experience.

It’s a little crazy to think that a year ago I was living in Calgary, working seasonal labour jobs, feeling stuck in the closed circuit of the city. I managed to break free and try something completely different, with the help of my knowledgeable and handy partner. It’s definitely not something I could have done alone. I’m very thankful for the people I’ve met in the last year, and all the new experiences I’ve been able to enjoy because I took a leap of faith and moved to a town I had never been to before. Here’s to the continual, sustainable growth of ourselves, and the plant friends around us!




Today's zucchini harvest
Our digs



Here's my little creative altar. Small spaces must still be pretty!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Two

New Job at the ABCRC

5 Useful tricks for greener living