2020 Insight

Wow, what a crazy year 2020 has been so far!

At the beginning of the year I was preparing for a trip to France to do Workaways, and not much else beyond that. My partner was going to start running an urban farm company, and I didn't have much planned except for trying to get into the child care & education field and sitting on the board of my favourite music festival and running their Eco-committee.

When we left France the Covid-19 cases in France were double digits and mostly in Paris. There was single digit cases in Calgary. But that quickly changed. Fast forward to the present, Calgary has the most cases in Alberta! There has been over 4,000 cases, with over 3,000 recovered (that's pretty good at least). But as with most of the country and world, most of the city shut down as self quarantining was encouraged. Schools, day-cares, restaurants and bars, any thing non-essential was closed. This was not a good time to try and find work!

Luckily my partner was still able to work and set up his back yard farm plots and I was able to keep busy by helping him. Although, acquiring enough seeds was challenging, since everyone staying home wanted to all start gardens of their own! I personally was very excited to see the interest in growing our own food and attaining some self sufficiency in times of global uncertainty. 






I've always had a dream of being self sufficient, and lived that off-grid life for a season in BC.  But things change and we decided to move back to Calgary for the winter and beyond. This is our second summer back in Calgary, and it's going pretty well all things considered. We are expanding our veggie garden and adding more perennial flowers to the other beds. I'm working towards a career where I can teach children about nature and the outside world, but it's a slow process in this pandemic world.
















 (These are photos from our garden last year, it will be many times better this year!)



For the time being I'm trying to make the most of my time here in the city. I'm regularly collecting litter, and I've started to take nature walks and film some interesting things I find, along with educational tidbits. I'm going to start posting them an a Youtube channel, and sharing them here as well. 

Once again I'm attempting to resurrect this blog from yet another hibernation!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Two

New Job at the ABCRC

5 Useful tricks for greener living